Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Grey Seas Under - Add to the Reading List

USCGC Tamaroa (USCG Photo)

When I was on my first ship, the USCGC Gallatin, the ocean going tug Tamaroa used to tie up at the next pier at Governor's Island in New York Harbor (aka the sixth borough). Every time I walked by her I wished I was aboard her instead of the Gallatin. Maybe it because the grass is alway greener. But certain ships may
suit our temperament better then others, the sleek race horse destroyer look of the Gallatin (USCG Photo to left) never appealed to me as much as the work horse look of the Tamaroa.

On the other hand if a former ship mate of mine is correct when he claims I read the wrong books when I was a kid then likely it's because I read Gray Seas Under by Farley Mowat. about a half dozen times.
Foundation Franklin Photo from Wikipedia
The book tells the story of the salvage tug Foundation Franklin .
Add Grey Seas Under to the recommended reading list for mariners.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just read, for the second time, "The Grey Seas Under" and it was just as exciting the second time through. Remembering those with the courage it takes to go to sea when others cower in port is what this book is all about. Of course it helps when you are in the company of great captains and a sturdy ship!