Monday, June 9, 2008

Master's Standing Orders as Genre

This article: Commanding Officer's Standing Orders: A Powerful and Unique Genre by Lt Kyle Turner (PDF) is worth a read. He make the point the the master's standing orders are more or less standard. This means that small tweaks each captain makes are more important then generally appreciated because they reflect that captains command philosophy. From the article:
Deeper understanding of the role Standing Orders play provides new perspective on shipboard relationships, communication, and culture. In turn, this new perspective can lead to reevaluation of Standing Order function and use.

I like the phase "Deeper Understanding", I also ran into a favorite "forehanded" in one of the examples he sited, no surprise, I first saw that word in the Navy's Watch Standing Guide. - I wonder if I can work that into my Standing orders somewhere.

No comments: