Thursday, November 12, 2009

Lobstering with Will on Maine's Casco Bay

Sternman Will aboard the "Top Notch" at Sunrise, Casco Bay (photo by K.C.)


I recently spent a beautiful November day lobstering with my son on Casco Bay - The story and photos are here: Lobstering in Casco Bay with my Dad

My son Will is sternman on the lobster boat "Top Notch" out of Cundy's Harbor. When he asked me if I'd like to go along with him for the day I thought it would be fun to go out, observe lobstering, and maybe snap a few pictures.

Instead, when I arrived on board I was given brief instructions on my duties and set to work, the pace was fast at times, the traps are heavy.

My job was to set the freshly baited traps on the trap rack in preparation to re-setting them . When the last trap of a string is baited, it is pushed overboard, it sinks and the rest of the traps on the string go in, one after the other, as the boat pulls away. I also banded the freshly caught lobster and put them in the tank.

Normally when I go to sea the heaviest thing I have to lift is a hand-held radio. I was tired at the end of the day.

Check out Will's version of the day at : Lobstering in Casco Bay with my Dad

K.C.

No comments: