Thursday, February 11, 2010

LORAN-C Shut down - Not Prudent Seamanship


 Towmasters has a good post regarding the shutdown of Loran C. - Lots of Eggs, One Basket Loran-C Signal Shut Down.

Various safety organizations have pounded into mariner's heads now for years various versions of the message "Safety First".   Most senior  mariners by now have internalized safety concepts such as the error chain - in my post Error Chains and Swiss Cheese  I wrote that identifying weak points in safety systems was  basic seamanship.

So,  the Coast Guard is shutting down Loran C and we are now going to depend entirely upon GPS, a system that relies upon satellites spinning around in outer space? Complex systems fail in unexpected ways. A big whiskey tango foxtrot on that one.

K.C.

3 comments:

Velu said...

I guess you have a point there, but I had written a couple of posts on the opposite view. :)

Cheers,
Velu

Velu said...

Oh & I see that you are preparing to get back to sea. Good luck and safe sailing!

Cheers,
Velu

Ken E. Beck said...

Hey Velu - thanks for your comments. I saw your post, though it was good. I agree the old Loran should be retired by the eLoran also has shore side applications. Seem more robust to me.