Saturday, May 26, 2012

Maritime Blog - The Chain Locker



The view from the kitchen table


Somehow I have missed adding  the Maritime Blog; The Chain Locker  written by Reid Sprague who uses the analogy of the joining link, also known as the pear link  in an anchor chain.
After a lifetime in the marine industry - which means a lifetime in the world writ large - I've seen many people from a variety of angles. Wherever I've been, I've tried to keep those disparate points of view working together. I've come to feel like the pear link, the link used in chain moorings to join different-sized bits. Something has to bridge that gap - something has to accept each size component and link them securely together. When the pear link has done its work, the mooring system - big pieces and small - works together to make a mooring point you can trust. The pear link is no more important than any other part of the mooring system, but it does a unique job. It's as strong as any chain link, but possesses a special capability. You need a pear link!

 Very apt, similar to what I am trying to do here.

Check out the "Categories" - lots of interesting posts. I've added The Chain Locker to my Working Mariners blog list.

 K.C.

6 comments:

Berto Garcia said...

Un saludo desde el Puerto de la Luz

Michelle said...

Hey, I've seen that room. Love the photo!

Reid Sprague said...

Thanks! I've enjoyed Kennebec Captain for some time, and have referred to it as well. I'm always interested in what you have to say. As a working deep-sea Master, you speak from a position of authority most of us can't equal - you're somewhere most of us have never been.

I think that's an important part of what maritime blogging is all about - I can look back on my own experience in the Navy or on tankers and tugs; but I know little about fishing or RO-RO ships or the Oil Patch, or a lot of other stuff.

Time was, it was hard to get commentary 'from the horse's mouth' unless you had a friend in that business. But now, someone is likely blogging about their work in that end of the industry. I think it's invaluable.

So thanks for doing what you do, and for writing about it! Keep up the great work.

Reid

Cheng said...

I enjoyed reading your post. Liked then idea of linking chain locker and mooring to your personality. I think myself as weak link in life raft release system in my business.
Ex Mariner
Girish Patil

George886 said...

I was at sea for 8 years on cruise ships but I'd love to know what the average Rating and Officer eats on board for 4-6 months of the year.

Would anyone be willing to share a menu cycle from a Chief Cook to help me understand the nutritional values for the low food cost they handle?

Thanks

cory josue said...

It is nice to know that there are still people from the maritime industry who blogs with sense, instead of those who blog superficially. I've been reading blogs on the net about seafaring and the experiences of seafarers and their wives and honestly, I think that they have very similar themes. My boyfriend is bound to leave middle of this year and although I am a little sad about it, I know that in the long run, we need for our family. I just thank god that after years of offshroe trainings, he will now reap the fruits of his labor.