Friday, January 16, 2009

US Airway Flight 1549 and High Reliability Organizations



Flight Path of USAIR Flt 1549 from i'm not sayin, i'm just sayin found at Information Dissemination

I was surprised to see HRO in the news this a.m.

Pilot Chesley Sullenberger, Captain of the flight that ditched in the Hudson was an Cockpit Resource Management (CRM) Instructor - a descendant of CRM is the Bridge Resource Management familiar to mariners. He also is a consultant in the field of High Reliability Organization (HRO)- his site Safety Reliability Methods, Inc. here.


Back in April I put up a post "Normal Accidents" - I am getting ready to go back to work and last night I was as Amazon.com buying some books for the trip. One of the books I bought is about HROs - "Managing the Unexpected: Resilient Performance in an Age of Uncertainty" - Review here ,

Some mariners have not yet embraced Bridge Resource Management - I've heard the arguments against it -my answer - go tell Captain Sully.

K.C.

No comments: