Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Arming Senior Officers


Kennebec Captain (QM3) fires off a few rounds - M2 Browning .50 Caliber Machine Gun (photo 1977 Aleutian Islands)


Capt. Richard Phillips is in front of congress advocating that senior shipboard officers be armed, while his boss, Maersk Inc. Chairman John P. Clancey, sitting next to him, disagrees. Rescued captain advises Congress on piracy

Or at least disagrees in absolute terms, in relative terms they are in agreement, don't arm my subordinates, or at least not anyone beyond my immediate subordinates.

I know Capt Phillips, he's a good, tough seaman, and, as we know, a brave man.

Having said that, I am familiar with this philosophy - the only crew you can trust to get things done is the Chief Engineer, the first and the mate. The problem is that when an emergency strikes, the senior officers will have their hands full.

I say in for a penny in for a pound. If your going to arm your crews arm them, don't take half way measures that limits the effectiveness in an emergency.

K.C.

My post, Arming Merchant Crews - here

No comments: