Monday, May 11, 2009

Arming Crew - Time to trade in the Needle Gun?

Candy Ass Non-Lethal Defense Force 80 Water Cannon
Found at Coming Anarchy

The Real Deal - M2 Machine Gun, Browning .50 Caliber


Many people believe that arming crews is the simple and obvious answer to the problem of piracy. I don't agree. My previous posts ( Arming Senior Offices and Arming Crew)

My crew might get arms, so I need to start planning, here is what I've come up with so far

The Nav Team

The Nav Team is already on the bridge so these guys, the two with the gray hair, they will be manning the 50 caliber machine guns on the wings. You can see my helmsman is dressed for action.


The Engine Dept.


Here some of my engine room crew, They will be manning the two machine guns on the stern. If the gun jams, you know these guy will be able clear it.



The Cook
The cook will have to run into the galley from time to time to stir the soup, so she will crew the midships guns.


Kennebec Captain (QM3) fires off a few rounds - M2 Browning .50 Caliber Machine Gun (photo 1977 Aleutian Islands)


And me of course, I'll be on the flying bridge for 360 degree defense, gloriously firing away - All you folks worried about harming innocent fisherman and whining about human rights violations - look out for those spent shells!

This is all meant tongue-in-cheek of course, seriously, the best defense for one ship might not work on another, I don't pretend to know the answers myself. I have sailed with lots of good, competent professional mariners whom I would not hesitate to arm. On the other hand I've had crew I wouldn't trust with a needle gun, much less a machine gun.

K.C.

No comments: